Things I love Thursday

This post is part of a weekly series called "Things I love Thursday," where I highlight some craftiness that has caught my eye on the internet over the past week. If you have a link to a crafty project you think I would like to feature on Things I love Thursday, send it to me here.

As long as I've been able to knit and crochet, sewing has also had my heart. I don't make time to sew as much as I ought to, but once a month or so I still like to dust off the sewing machine and spend a day sewing kids clothes or blankets, or the occasional project for myself. Sewing is so gratifyingly different from yarn craft. You can spend a relatively small amount of time on something and have this big, complete project that's useful in every day life. It's always nice to take a break from my everyday knitting designing and allow myself to have a project with a clear beginning and ending.

Maybe a year ago, I decided I wanted to learn to quilt. I knew well enough that I didn't have the time to get into hand quilting or any extreme piecing techniques, but I wanted to understand quilt patterns and have that skill. It was at that time that I discovered even the most simple quilt pattern, even when made with my non-matching scrap fabrics and pieces picked up from the remnant bin of my local fabric store, was quite a rewarding experience.

Charlie demonstrates my first quilt's use as a mat on the floor
So for my "things I love" this Thursday, I've chosen these beautiful quilt patterns- give them a look, maybe try sewing on for yourself, and I guarantee you are going to have fun in the process.

Left: I Spy the Alphabet Modern Quilt Pattern by the Quilted Fox
Upper right: Free House Quilt Block Tutorial by the Craftsy Blog
Lower right: Triangle Quilt by See Kate Sew

The Alphabet Modern quilt pattern by the Quilted Fox is just lovely and I think it would be just as home on a guest bed as it would be hanging on the wall in a little one's room. One of the things I love about this pattern is that I think it would look amazing with just about any combination of scrap fabrics you come up with, whether they seem like they match each other or not. A bunch of non matching fabrics, like scraps from old clothes or just regular renmants you have lying around, would only add to the charm of this one, and the pattern itself it cohesive enough to really make it work.

The House quilt block is definitely the most traditional of the ones featured here, and something I myself am itching to try. I would love to make up one of these a week until I have a whole blanket and I could already see it being the quilt I keep in my living room that the kids drag out to curl up with on the couch.

The Triangle Quilt is the pattern that got me interested in quilting in the first place, and in fact it's the pattern I used to make my quilt, pictured above, under baby Charlie. I know from experience that this is a great pattern, and while it was very simple, I get compliments on it all the time. See Kate Sew even sells a line of fabric through Spoonflower to make a triangle quilt without any piecing at all, if you just want to sew up a quilt-style blanket in an hour or two.

As I go through my fabric stash in preparation for a move to a new house this summer, I definitely anticipate breaking out the rotary cutter and diving into at least one, but probably all three, of these quilting patterns.

Comments

Popular Posts